My Tips Towards Wealthy

Friday, September 3, 2010

Fixed Deposit - To double our money ?

From my childhood days i used to hear that money can be doubled if we put it in Fixed deposit.

Is this really true ?, Yes its True.

But my concern is
1) Does FDs give a negative return
2) Should any one do FDs.
3) What are the factors which decide whether FD is suitable to me.

Answers:
1) Does FDs give a negative return:
Yes, On the basis of price index, Inflation is hovering around 9%. So for a depositor who is parking money in a bank FD with an annual rate of interest 8 %.

His actual return = Bank Interest Rate - Inflation = 7% - 8% = -1%
ie. a negative return !!.
If we consider the effect of Tax the return will be more negative.

2) Then anyone should do FDs ?
Yes, FDs are suitable for those who have short term goals [ < 3 years]. For short term goals it is not wise to take risk. For such cases FDs/Savings accound with Auto Sweep facility are the best means of investments.

3) What are the factors which decide whether FD is suitable to me.

The main factor which decide whether FD or Equities are the duration to reach our goals. For short term [ <3 years] always go for FDs.

If we have long Term goals then Equities are the best means of investment. Equities used to give an annualized return of 18-20% since the inception of stock market. Hence for the capital gain over a long period [ > 3 years ] equities are the best means of investment .

That means if we want to attain a positive return over a long period from our investment we should NOT go behind FDs because Inflation and Tax will eat out our investments in the long run.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I know this is kinda off topic however , I'd figured I'd ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog
    post or vice-versa? My blog covers a lot of the same subjects as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.

    If you happen to be interested feel free to send me an email.

    I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!



    Also visit my web blog: diet plans that work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good valuable information... There are many financial products and services the things you must analysis and choose the best suitable plan for you only then you could have benefits.
    Best financial advisors in Chennai
    Financial planners in Chennai
    Investment advisor in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work this blog gives clear knowledge about investment.
    Free Trading tips

    ReplyDelete